Sunday, July 04, 2010

so i'm back blogging. it's been a complicated separation. first, i haven't been sure what to do with my blog ever since facebook took hold. i've found it easier to be part of that social network with simple statements and updates rather than blogging as i used to do over these last 10 years. and yet, i've also found it quite sad to leave my blog to dust after it has given me so much. for the last year or two it's been mostly a photo page from my flickr site. i finally got a blogger app on my iphone and i found it easy to post to blogger and facebook and twitter all at the same time with the short missives while running around the city. but it still wasn't blogging as in the past.

then, everything changed. blogger itself was changing my system and was going to delete my current format. had this been years ago i would have done everything in my power to stop that from happening early on (i had certainly been given ample notice), but i just couldn't decide whether it was a necessity this time and i questioned whether i still needed or wanted a blog. there is so much history in my blog since 2000 and i did not want to lose it, but as far as continuing on blogging in the new world of social interactive spaces like facebook and twitter i wasn't sure how to prioritize.

thankfully my friend David Farre helped me transition to the new 'reesesworld' which has a new format (due to the new blogger situation and my own lack of prioritization), but which thankfully can still be found via the original www.reesesworld.com link. and i'm pleased to see that my entire archive from over the years is still here and up. it's actually a useful tool for me to try and remember when things happened in my life, as well as just to visit and see what i was doing when.

this all comes at an iconic time for my blog. it will be 10 years ago this september when i started blogging. dear Jessie came to me sometime in the summer of 2000 and asked if i wanted a blog. at the time, blogs were new and only happening via tech-savvy people. i was not a tech-savvy person. but Jessie was and had recently created his own blog. i remember clearly stating to him, 'what would i do with a website?' i was rather reticent but then got engaged with the idea and the blog went live in early september of 2000, nearly 10 years ago.

little did i know how the blog would change my life. not only did it make my own world and thoughts and personality more public to the world, it led me to a new world of writing, friends in the blogosphere, abilities to do html and other coding which i had no knowledge of before, and a simple place to archive my life. i made friends and contacts around the world i never thought possible. people i've met in person since and people i never knew but their name and email. but so many people that i'm pleased to have met and some of which are still good friends to this day. when i started the blog it was very political with lots of links and messaging, as well as simple links to stories i was reading in the news. this was the early days of people getting there news online versus from the papers. and it gave me a place to vent my frustrations with the political system and political situations around the country. i had found a place to finally speak out.

that speaking out and writing led to some incredible changes in my own personal life. people started reading my rants and write-ups and essays. i started realizing that i was 'writing' and not just 'blogging' and could do more. i became an editor for several local newsletters and websites; i started writing for politicians and assisting in website developments for groups and campaigns and politicians; i got job offers and developed new careers based on these activities. nowadays i am actually working on the mechanics of websites and having conversations about code and tech-savvy issues which i never knew beforehand, but which i can do because of the background and history of working on my own blog.

this is why i decided 'reesesworld' was so important to me so as not to lose. additionally, i have started realizing that the posts on facebook and twitter do end up so short as to leave me wanting to be able to say more. i have writings on my facebook page in the notes section, but it does seem rather lost there. i feel more strongly about having them written on the blog now and plan to make use of my blog in the new future as a place not only for a new priority for me of writing fiction and essays, but also of continuing my posting of flicr pictures from the recent days of events in my life.

i may not do the same things i did 10 years ago, but then life changes and i have changed and the world, reesesworld, changes too. all that said, reesesworld is here to stay and is back in the game. so keep watching and checking in to see what's up in these here pages of reesesworld.

thanks for reading, and being an important part of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home